On Nov. 11-13, 2010, approximately 150 college and vocational students from 18 schools around the country participated in the Tree Care Industry Association Foundation (TCIAF) Student Career Days, including the annual Student Skills Competition, at the TCI Expo held at the David L. Lawrence Convention Center in Pittsburgh, Pa. TCIAF Student Career Days is a career development event for arboriculture, urban forestry and horticulture students.
The Student Skills Competition, which drew 57 students from 16 schools, was held on Friday, Nov. 12 at Allegheny Commons West Park and featured the work climb, belayed scramble, and throwline competition events, as well as academic events, including safety gear check, knowledge exam and TCI CSI. The Student Career Days also includes a job and internship fair from 8:30 to 11:30 a.m. at the David L. Lawrence Convention Center.
Mark Chisholm, International Society of Arboriculture (ISA) certified arborist, three time ISA international tree climbing champion and Stihl spokesperson, was on site to demonstrate climbing competition tips, along with 2009 champion Jared Abrojena and fellow competitor Chad Brey.
“It is great to see the student’s enthusiasm and passion for the tree care industry,” said Chisholm. “With this type of leadership and commitment from the student competitors, the industry has a bright future.”
“By having Mark Chisholm demonstrate at the competition, students learn real world experience from a well-respected professional, which is key for future career development,” said Tchukki Andersen, TCIA staff arborist and ISA Board Certified Master Arborist. “Stihl, along with our other sponsors, provides the necessary experiences to teach valuable skills to these future arborists.”
The winners were announced at the Student Skills Awards Ceremony on Nov. 13 at the TCI Expo and included:
• Overall first place winner, Kevin Braun of Penn State, University Park, Pa.
• Overall second place, Kyle McCabe of University of Massachusetts, Amherst, Mass,
• Overall third place, Jon Farkas, of University of Wisconsin–Stevens Point, Stevens Point, Wisc.
Individual event winners were:
• Knowledge Exam : Alex Julius of University of Massachusetts, Amherst, Mass
• Safety Gear Check: Caleb Mende of Warren Wilson College, Asheville, NC
• TCI CSI: Kevin Braun of Penn State, University Park, Pa.
• Throwline: Kevin Munks of Western Illinois University, Macomb, Ill.
• Women’s Belayed Scramble: Jessica Briscoe, Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah
• Men’s Belayed Scramble: Brock Holtzclaw of North Carolina State, Asheville, NC
• Women’s Work Climb: Jessica Briscoe, Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah
• Men’s Work Climb: Kyle McCabe of University of Massachusetts, Amherst, Mass.
For a list of all the students’ final scores, visit http://www.treecareindustry.org/Public/meetings_expo_careerdays.htm.
The sponsors of the 2010 event included Stihl Inc., Arborwell, Bartlett Tree Experts, The Davey Tree Expert Co., SavAtree, The Care of Trees, Wright Tree Service, International Society of Aboriculture, Vermeer Corporation, Bandit Industries, Inc., and Cummins Bridgeway.
For more information, visit http://www.treecareindustry.org/Public/meetings_expo_careerdays.htm .